Undergraduate Announcement Board (UGAB) for Communication
Week of March 26, 2012 – Eleventh Week of the Semester
Quote of the Week
How is it possible not to feel that there is communication between our solitude as a dreamer and the solitudes of childhood? And it is no accident that, in a tranquil reverie, we often follow the slope which returns us to our childhood solitude.
- The Rome Group is a nonprofit consulting group in the Central West End that also happens to run an amazing job listing page for nonprofit jobs in St. Louis. Other job boards in nonprofit work are the Nonprofit Services Center, CSPRC
- For university jobs, search HERC.
- For internships, consider InternMatch.com or One Day, One Internship (a blog that lists a new internship every day).
- For jobs outside of St. Louis, consider searching One Day, One Job (the sister site of the above) for the city of your choosing. For Chicago, for instance, click here.
- For corporate jobs, search individual company webpages or look at PRSA’s job listing page for St. Louis or the national PRSA page.
- Current Student Lindsey Conboy hosted a great Lunch and Learn last week where she gave us great information about internships at the Loop in event planning. If you are interested in that opportunity for this summer, contact her at email@example.com or click here for more information.
- Disney (yes, that Disney) offers an internship program for current college students where you would go to DisneyWorld or Disneyland and spent a set period of time working for Disney. This college program is very popular and well-liked by past interns. If you are interested in this, read more on the website. It certainly sounds like fun!
Faculty Notes: I (Dr. Dohrman/Rebecca) am heading to Cleveland, Ohio this Thursday for the Central States Communication Association conference where I will present a paper with my dissertation advisor titled “Accessing Meaningful Work Through Innovative Methodological Approaches.” Conferences are a wonderful chance to learn new things and to share research with a wider public.
Summer Course Option: If you are interested in advertising, be sure to sign up for this summer’s course titled Principles of Advertising with J. Korte (COMM 261). This is a course devoted solely to advertising and it would be perfect for students interested in that field specifically. Starting this Fall 2012 semester, Principles of PR and Principles of Advertising will be merged into one Principles of Strategic Communication course, so if you want advertising specifically, I would encourage you to take this course if you are looking for a good summer course!
Etiquette Dinner: Maryville’s etiquette dinner is always a hit with students! See the attached flyer for more information about this event which will be held on campus Wednesday, April 11th.
What people are talking about in the halls…..jobs, summer internships, social media, and GRADUATION!
Make it a great week! Rebecca DohrmanAssistant Professor, Communication