We are happy to welcome you to Maryville in Fall 2018.
Our Orientation starts on August 20, 2018 and runs through August 26, 2018. Please make sure that you make your travel arrangements to arrive the the latest by August 19, 2018.
Please visit our “Airport Pick Up Request” page if you prefer to be picked up from the airport, free of charge.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION WEEK HIGHLIGHTS – FALL 2018
MONDAY, August 20
- 9:00 am-10:00 am Welcome Meeting for Students and Their Families – Buder Commons
- Station 1: Check-in, get your orientation folder
- Station 2: Get your iPad (for qualifying students)
- Station 3: International Admissions: Turn in your documents
- Station 4: Sign up with ISI
- Station 5: Get your Student ID
- Station 6: Meet your team’s Saints Nation Leader
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am Immigration 101 (Mandatory): Learn everything you need to know about visas, employment, social security, among other topics related to immigration, and ask any questions you may have.
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm Student Panel on Life at Maryville, including Public Transportation, Life on Campus, Housing
- 12:15 pm -1:15 pm Lunch – Dining Hall
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm Mandatory Math Placement Test for Undergraduate students – Walker 220
- 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm Tour our beautiful campus – Around Campus
- 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm Banking and Shopping Trip – Chesterfield Valley
- Meet at the Division of Student Success, University Library
- Banking: Students who intend to open a bank account must bring their passport, I-20 and money to deposit with them.
- Shopping: Students should bring U.S. currency and their identification (passport, driver’s license, etc.) to buy linens, towels, school supplies and other items for their room (WalMart/Target). This would be a good time to do cell phone and other technology shopping (Best Buy, AT&T, etc.). Please let us know if you have a special request and don’t forget your documentation.
- 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm Maryville Trivia and Pizza night – LJ’s
- Engage with Maryville students, orientation leaders, and staff. Show us your best smile for our group photo! Transportation provided following the event (for students living off-campus).
TUESDAY, August 21
- 9:00 am Breakfast – Buder Commons
- 9:30 am-11:30 am Campus Resource Fair – Buder Commons
- Meet a plethora of resources available on campus. Representatives from various departments will be available to provide you with more detailed information on a wide array of resources and academic queries (Library, Personal Counseling, Health and Wellness, Student Service Center, Tutoring and Writing Centers, Athletics, etc.)
- 11:45 am-1:00 pm Lunch with Student Life + Res Life + Diversity and Inclusion – Dining Hall
- 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm Various Sessions – Buder Commons
- 1:30 pm -2:30pm Maryville Digital World Explored: Canvas, Social Media, iBook, Airdrop, Maryville Portal, AccessMu, Communities with Taylor Bell
- 2:30 pm -3:30 pm Maryville Academic Policies (Mandatory)
- 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm Writing Studio (Mandatory)
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Study Strategies with the Life Coaches
- 5:30 pm –7:00 pm Dinner and Evening Activity Sponsored by International Students’ Ministry- Buder Commons
- Get to know other international students.
- Transportation provided following the event (for students living off-campus).
WEDNESDAY, August 22
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm Breakfast and Various Sessions – Buder Commons
- 10:30 am -11:00 am Title IX training by Karlla Dozier, Assistant Dean for Compliance and Recruitment/Title IX Coordinator and Kathy Quinn, Dean of Students
- 11:00 am-12:00 pm Communication and Culture (Jesse Kavadlo)
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch – Gander Dining Hall
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Transfer Orientation – DUC Atrium
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Team up with your SN Leader for a scavenger hunt! -Across Campus
THURSDAY, August 23
- 10:00 am – 2:00 pm Shopping and Banking – Chesterfield Valley
- 2:00 pm-4:00 pm Schedule Changes – Division of Student Success
- 4:00 pm-5:00 pm SN Leaders Skit: Leaders act out real life situations that you might encounter during your time at Maryville – LJ’s
- 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm Outdoor Activities including cook-out – the Commencement Lawn
FRIDAY, August 24- SUNDAY, August 26
Various St. Louis Attractions and Activities: Join International Orientation Leaders for a tour of the many things Saint Louis has to offer and enjoy activities. More information will follow.
Sunday: International Festival of St. Louis