D2L has the ability to do some pretty amazing things. One example of a creative way you can add media to your course is by adding a Twitter feed to the course home page.
Here is the process for adding a Twitter feed to your course home page !
There are two phases to this addition. First, you need to set up the widget to display the proper twitter feed. Second, you need to put the twitter feed on the course home page.
To set up the correct twitter feed on a widget:
1. From a course, select “Course Tools” in the upper right hand corner, then select “Widgets.”
2. This will give you a list of available “Widgets” within the course. Locate the “Twitter Feed” widget, and make a copy of it. When you select the “copy” button, a dialogue box will appear asking you to confirm this action.
3. Once copied, a new widget will appear in the list called “Twitter Feed-Copy.” Locate this widget and choose the “Edit” (Pencil Icon) button.
4. This will take you to the “Edit Widget” page. Select the “Content.” tab. Also, feel free to change the name of the widget to something more appropriate than “Twitter Feed-Copy.”
5. From the “Content” tab, select to edit the “HTML” code for this widget. The “HTML Source Code Editor” will appear. Locate the Twitter username. It will follow the code “setUser (“Twitter Username”).start ();
5. Replace this username (‘csamgo87′) with the username for the twitter feed you are going to use. This is typically located on the Twitter page, OR you can use whatever comes after “Twitter.com/_______”
The example below is the Twitter account for the Wall Street Journal. The Twitter username is “WSJ.” You can locate that in two locations (see below).
When finished, select “update” on the HTML editor (bottom left hand corner).
6. This will take you back out to the “Edit Widget” page. Go ahead and “Save and Close.” This will take you to the list of Widgets. You can preview the widget. If satisfied, select “Course Tools” again.
To add this Twitter Feed widget to the course home page.
1. From “Course Tools,” select “Homepages.”
2. Locate the “active” homepage. Then choose the down arrow to the right of its name and “Copy” it. 3. This will produce a copy of the active home page called “Course Default-Copy.” This copied home page will be highlighted blue, select the name of this home page to edit it. 4. This will take you to the “Edit Homepage” page. You can rearrange the default widgets as you see fit. To add the Twitter Feed widget, select “Add Widgets.” This will bring up a list of available widgets. Locate “Twitter Feed-Copy” OR whatever you renamed the widget to, and choose “Add”
5. The Twitter Feed will be added to the homepage template. Select “Save & Close.” This will bring you back out to the list of Homepages.
6. The last step is to use the drop down on this page to set your new homepage as the “Active Homepage” for your course. After you select your homepage, choose “Apply.”
7. Now you can go to your Course Home page and admire the new Twitter Feed !