The next semester is fast approaching. To prepare for the upcoming semester, we’ve put together frequently asked questions we typically receive before each semester.
Beginning of the Semester Frequently Asked Questions
When is a course made available to faculty in Canvas?
The general rule of thumb is that courses are available to faculty 28 days prior to the first day of class.
When does content appear for online courses?
If you teach online, content will be applied to your courses either the day the course becomes available OR in some cases, shortly after.
When do students gain access to their courses in Canvas?
Students gain access to courses two weeks prior to the start of the term UNLESS they are in an online graduate nursing course. Students in online graduate nursing courses receive access the morning of the first day of the term.
When is a course published to Canvas?
Courses remain unpublished until students gain access. Publishing is an automatic process.
I’m an instructor, but my course isn’t appearing in Canvas.
First, make sure it’s 28 days prior to the first day of class. If it is, and your course still isn’t appearing in Canvas, make sure you’re listed as the instructor for that course. You can check that via accessmu.maryville.edu. If you are not listed as the instructor, please contact your college/school. Once listed as the instructor, the course will appear for you in Canvas within 24 hours.
Beginning of the Semester Checklist
This checklist is applicable for non-online courses.
- Copy content from a previous course into the new blank course (not applicable to online courses). If you’re copying over Turnitin-enabled assignments, you must re-enable Turnitin after the copying process. If you don’t, students won’t be able to submit an assignment through Turnitin. Remember, just updating due dates will enable Turnitin.
- Post your syllabus in all your courses. Instead of just posting a link to the file, copy and paste the syllabus information… and post a link to the file.
- Post an initial announcement in all your courses.
- View recorded Canvas workshops for a refresher on the system.
- Bookmark community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides, as it provides GREAT documentation on using Canvas.
- Keep a look out for in-person and online (webinar) Canvas workshops hosted by the LDT team.
If you have any questions not listed above, please contact LDT.