From time to time, you may need to give your students extra time or an extra attempt to take a quiz. This post will explain how to accomplish these actions.
Moderate a Quiz
One way you can give students extra time or attempts is through Canvas’ Moderate This Quiz feature. Follow these steps to use this feature.
1. Log in to Canvas.
2. Click to enter your course.
3. Click Quizzes, and then click the actual quiz.
4. Click Moderate This Quiz.
5. Click the pencil icon next to a student you want to give extra time/attempts to.
6. Type the number of Extra Attempts or Extra time on every attempt. If the quiz is already complete due to accessibility dates, select Manually unlock the quiz for the next attempt.
7. Click Save.
Another way you can give students extra quiz attempts is through Quiz Results. Follow these steps to use this feature.
1. From the quiz, click the settings gear icon.
2. Click Show Student Quiz Results.
3. Click the student’s name.
4. Click allow this student an extra attempt.
5. The new amount of attempts left will be reflected.
Please contact us with questions about Canvas.
One question that we are anticipating coming up as we move to Canvas, is how to “moderate” student quizzes. Often times, faculty need to give students “special” access to quizzes for a variety of reasons.
Examples of “special access”:
1. Student needs an extra attempt
2. Student needs extra time
To “Moderate” a quiz in Canvas:
1. Go into your Canvas course, and select “Quizzes” from the navigation bar.
2. Locate the quiz you wish to “moderate” and select the name of it.
3. This will take you to the information for that quiz. Locate the “Moderate This Quiz” button on the right hand side and select it.
4. This will take you the “Moderate Quiz” screen. You will have a list of all of your students and the following information will be provided.
- Name of Student
- Number of attempts available
- Time it took student to take quiz
- Number of attempts left
- Edit/Moderate pencil icon
To give your student extra time and/or an extra attempt, select the “pencil” icon.
5. A dialogue box will appear where you can give this student:
- Extra Attempts
- Extra Time on Every Attempt
If the quiz is locked, choose to” Manually unlock the quiz for the next attempt.”