On July 29, Panopto will require all recorders to be updated to version 5.1 or 5.2. You will be prompted to update your recorder on this date, and will be unable to use Panopto until your version is updated to 5.1 or 5.2. If you are currently using a Maryville-issued computer, please contact the Help Desk to complete the update.
1. Type your Maryville.edu username and password.
2. Once logged in, click Download Panopto.
3. Click the appropriate Download Installer.
4. Once the software is downloaded, the installer opens and you can begin the installation process.
Even though Panopto is still available, we recommend using our new video platform, Kaltura, for future video recording needs.
On July 29, 2016, Panopto will require Panopto Desktop Recorders for Windows to be updated to version 5.1 and for Mac to version 4.9.1. The recorders will be updated on July 29 at 7 p.m. (CT). After this date and time, you will be prompted to update your recorder upon log in. To update your recorder, click the button download and install the latest version. For assistance updating the recorder, view one of these resources.
The recorders are being updated because Panopto 5.1 includes important bug fixes, which prevent data loss in certain circumstances. Panopto 4.9.1 includes important fixes to support the latest version of Keynote.
Panopto 5.0 is now available for download. One of the major updates is the redesigned user interface, or UI. Take a look at the screenshots below for a quick glance.
Other minor changes to the interface include:
Users can live webcast from the Mac.
Live webcasts have a DVR function, allowing viewers to go back in time and watch something over again during the live broadcast.
The PC recorder comes with system audio recording functionality, which could be useful if you want to incorporate video (e.g., YouTube videos) into your recordings.
You don’t have to update your Panopto recorder yet; however, if you want to update your PC or Mac recorder, follow these steps.
1. Visit learn.hosted.panopto.com.
2. Log in to the Panopto Canvas Integration using your Maryville credentials.
3. Click Download Recorder, which is in the top-right corner.
4. Choose to download the recorder for a PC or Mac.
As we have moved from D2L, we will no longer have D2L Capture. Our new lecture capture system is called “Panopto.” If you had videos in Capture, they have been moved for you. If you plan on recording additional videos, you will need to use Panopto.
Below you will find instructions for inserting a Panopto video in a Canvas course.
How to Insert a Panopto Video into a Canvas Course
1. Access the “Courses” dropdown from within Canvas, and access the course you would like to put the video into.
2. Click “Panopto Recording” on the left Navigation bar. This will pull up the Panopto website into Canvas, where you will select the appropriate folder to locate the video.
3. When you find the video, hover over it and select “Share.” A dialogue box will appear. Choose to share this with “Anyone on the Internet.” This will produce a public URL that you will use to put into your Canvas course.
From here, you can place this URL into any course. To place it into the “Modules” area.
1. Go to the correct course, and select “Modules” from the left side Navigation bar.
2. Select to “+ to add to an existing module (OR create a new module, then select to “+” to it.) When you select “+” a dialogue box will appear. Use the dropdown to select “External URL.’ This will provide you an area to copy the Panopto video URL and give it a title. When finished, choose to “Add Item.”
3. The video will be added to your module. Once published, students can watch!
Since our current lecture capture platform is “D2L Capture” (A D2L Product), we will no longer be using this product once we switch to Canvas. Our department has purchased a license to a new product called “Panopto.”
If you are currently a D2L Capture user:
In preparation for the move from D2L to Canvas, we have copied and moved all of your D2L Capture videos into our new lecture capture platform, Panopto. Don’t worry, your videos will remain on the Capture site (http://capture.maryville.edu), until the end of this semester. However, starting this summer, you will need to use Panopto if you wish to continue recording lecture capture videos AND/OR want to share any videos previously recorded. We will have Panopto training starting in mid-March (and then ongoing), and I’m always available to meet with you individually (before or after mid-March) to discuss and train you on this new platform.
To access your videos prior to summer semester, follow these steps: ***I recommend logging in at least once to make sure you can see your folder/videos—report back any issues.
Click the drop-down next to “sign in using,” and choose “Canvas Panopto Integration”
Select “Sign In”
Input your Maryville username/password
Locate the “Folders” drop down on the left hand side. Locate your folder (FirstInitialLastName—ex. RCunningham).
Note: You may want to make sure all of your videos have been transferred.
Once you gain access to your courses in Canvas, you will be able to access Panopto directly from any of the course shells.
Note: Our office will continue checking the Capture site until the end of this semester for any new recordings. If there are any new recordings we will continue to move them to Panopto for you. We also can add users to other users folders, if access is needed (ex. I could be added to Julie’s folder and vice-versa).
For help documentation/videos on Panopto, check out their support website AND/OR check out the introductory video below.