STATEMENT OF EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENT TEACHING
My Expectations of the Student Teacher:
1. I expect the student teacher’s first priority is to the learning and educational well-being of the students in your classroom.
2. I expect the student teacher will strive to become a skilled, reflective teacher, to discover and develop your own personal teaching perspectives (and not become a clone of the cooperating teacher or me).
3. I expect the student teacher to meet on a weekly basis with the cooperating teacher to openly discuss concerns, plans, progress, etc.
4. I expect the student teacher to explore your understanding of the differences between children, and to look closely at your own actions in the classroom toward different children.
5. I expect the student teacher to use this opportunity to try out a variety of teaching methods and to experiment with different approaches towards instruction.
6. I expect the student teacher to arrange with me to observe you at least every 2-3 weeks, negotiating convenient times for pre- and post-observation conferencing.
My Expectations of the Cooperating Teacher:
1. I expect the cooperating teacher to meet on a weekly basis with the student teacher to discuss student teacher concerns, interests, plans and progress.
2. I expect the cooperating teacher to introduce the student to other staff, integrate the student into the goings-on of the school and classroom, and to provide the student teacher a “place” in the classroom, if at all possible.
3. I expect the cooperating teacher to allow the student teacher, as much as possible, to develop his/her own style/approach.
4. I expect the cooperating teacher to observe and conference with the student teacher toward becoming technically proficient in the skills of teaching, as well as reflecting on the reasons behind teaching.
5. I expect the cooperating teacher to openly give feedback to the student teacher and to me on a regular basis, and notify me if any problem should arise.