Many Connections. One U.

Alumni Profile

on December 16, 2010 by Janet Edwards

Jason Byrne, ‘02

At 19 years old, Jason Byrne was already working for one of the region’s most coveted employers—Anheuser-Busch, Inc. For several years during college, he was a tour guide in the company’s tourist center. After earning his B.S. degree in e-marketing from Maryville, he was hired full-time. Still there 11 years later, he now works as manager of Service Excellence & Analytics.

In his professional capacity, Byrne directs consumer service and loyalty programs. Managing customer relations is a central part of his responsibilities; he credits Maryville for providing relevant experiences and for lessons well-taught.

“Maryville’s size and direct faculty and student interaction allows ample opportunity for relationship-building,” he says. “This ability has translated directly into my current role with Anheuser-Busch. It is my job to build and maintain relationships with end consumers of our products. Through these relationships, we can provide meaningful brand experiences to our consumers and they in turn buy our products.  A true win/win for everyone involved.”

During his Maryville days, Byrne served as co-chair of CAB (Campus Activities Board), as a member of Maryville’s chapter of the American Marketing Association and he was named Most Outstanding E-Marketing Student at graduation.

Byrne recently retired from Maryville’s Young Alumni Board, but remains active in alumni programs—which is not surprising given the pattern he set during his busy Maryville days. He’s got a message for alumni who are able to attend events: “If you’re in town and can make it to some alumni events, do it. We have so much fun catching up on everyone’s lives. Facebook allows us to stay in touch, but it’s nowhere near as fun as getting together and remembering old times.”

Although work is challenging, Byrne makes it a point to focus on family life, too. He and his wife, Hillary (Schmidt) Byrne, ’05, have twin two-year-old boys, Aiden and Blake.

“I spend the majority of my free time enjoying my family and everything that comes with it—playing outside, going to the park, watching movies, etc.,” Byrne says. “In addition, I am big on household projects, so at any given time I normally have at least one room in our house all torn up.”

One particular Maryville memory continues to stand out for Byrne: “I always find myself telling the story of the time that I performed as Britney Spears at a CAB karaoke event, and when I went to leave I discovered that I had locked my keys in the car.  So there I was standing in the parking lot waiting for Public Safety, dressed like Britney Spears.”

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon