- New Students: We would like to welcome Felicia Lampley, Emily Taylor, Austin Davis and Megan McDaniel as a new students in our communication program! We are thrilled to have you joining our community of majors!
- Welcome New Graduate Students! We would also like to welcome the dozen graduate students who started this Fall! We are thrilled to have a great group of students in our program.
- Graduation Application: For students planning to graduate in December or May, the deadline to fill out the online application for graduation (found in AccessMU for Students on the Portal or at the Student Service Center) is Sept 15 (for Dec grads) and Nov 15 (for May grads). Fill out the form today to ensure you are all set for graduation.
- Double COMM/ENG Major: We have launched a new major which is a combination of communication and English. It is similar to the Psych/Soc Major and we think several students may be interested in it. If you are interested in this new double major option, contact Dr. Dohrman.
- Maryville Reaches Out is Maryville’s Day of Service and it will be held next Tuesday, September 22nd. You can sign up for a project here to meet your fellow students and feel good doing it.
- Canceled Classes: Maryville classes are cancelled before 4pm on the day of Maryville Reaches Out, which this year is Tuesday September 22nd. This allows everyone to participate. Sign up for your projecthere!
- Congratulations to Katie Buck who completed an internship with the Illinois State Senate Republican Communication Team this Summer! Katie is also interning with Maryville’s Institutional Advancement team this Fall!
- Congrats to Niesha Shelton on her Fall internship with Helping Hand Me Downs! Also congrats toLaurie Rohde for her internship at LAMP! Evan Asher also recently completed his internship with Bonfyre this summer. Congrats Evan, Niesha, and Laurie!
- Congrats to Lauren St. John for her internship at St. Louis Homes and Lifestyles Magazine! We are also thrilled that Cydney Long completed a great internship at the Illinois State Fair and Natalie Crawford completed her internship at the Kirkwood Public Library!
- Maryville Hosting PRSA Event: Dr. Carver has been working with PRSA to bring their next event to campus. The event will be next Wednesday, September 16th from 5-7pm in the President’s Conference Center at Gander Hall. The topic is about the various accreditations and certifications and degrees that communication professionals seek following their undergraduate degree. It is only $5 for students! What a deal! Registration deadline is Monday, September 14th, so don’t delay! Register today.
- The St. Louis Social Media Club ON TAP FREE Event Series: The St. Louis Social Media Club is hosting a series of free events at Bottleworks in Maplewood where individuals will tell their story of how social media impacted a particular situation. This free event does require registration. The second speaker in the series is on Wednesday, September 23rd at 5:30pm at Schlafly Bottleworks. Dr. Dohrman will be at the event and invites all of our students to join! Register here before it sells out. Mark your calendar for future fourth Wednesday events in this free series.
- St. Louis Design Week is happening all over the city the week of September 19-25. Check out their website to see all of the great events they have planned. Many local agencies have tours planned in the schedule! There is a neat event on social media happening on Monday. Details.
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network Blog Out Loud: On Thursday, September 17 at 5:30pm, YNPN is hosting their annual Blog Out Loud event at TRex downtown. Details here!
- Other Upcoming Networking Events: Look at these organization’s websites for other upcoming events: Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), American Marketing Association (AMA), Communication Service Public Relations Council (CSPRC), St. Louis Press Club, St. Louis Social Media Club (SMCSTL), Business Marketing Association (BMA-STL), AIGA, STL-ODN, and the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN).
- Allegra, an agency in Westport, is looking for a paid social media intern to work 10 hours a week in their office this semester. Send your resume to Jim Elder to apply.
- TedX: TedX, located in the TRex complex in downtown St. Louis, coordinates local TED Talks and they are looking for another Maryville student to intern with them. Send your resume to Steve Sommers to apply.
- Firecracker Press: This fun and fantastic agency located in the Old North neighborhood of St. Louis is looking for a marketing intern to work two full days a week. To apply, e-mail your resume to Missy Knight.
- Third Path, a nonprofit on the East Coast that works with helping families achieve work/life balance, is looking for an intern to work virtually for their organization. E-mail Jessica DeGroot for more details.
- The Alzheimer’s Association is looking for an intern for this fall. Details here! One of our students, Kelli Grundig, just finished a great internship with them!
- Cam-Dex Security Corporation: Cam-Dex is looking for an intern at their organization. Details. Email Carla Zerr to apply.
- InternStl.com has a great list of internships at local creative agencies. It is a great place to look for an internship!
- The Health Literacy Program in Missouri is looking for interns to work in health communication at their office. Details.
- Maryville’s Athletics Office is looking for an unpaid graphic design intern. If you are interested in design and looking to sharpen your skills, send your resume to Jarrett Fleming directly.
- Socially Jen is a local agency looking for interns to work in their office off of Ivanhoe in the city of St. Louis. Details.
- The Borgen Project, a nonprofit interested in fighting global poverty, is looking for interns (opportunity to work from home possible). Details.
- Great Circle, located in Webster Groves, is looking for a marketing/communication intern for this semester. Contact Rebecca Brenner with your resume for more details.
- Maryville Career Connections: For many more opportunities, be sure to look at Maryville’s Career Connections website. It is a wonderful resource where a lot of St. Louis companies send their job postings.
- The Rome Group has dozens of part-time jobs available at local nonprofits doing communication work. Check out the list here and consider switching your current part-time job to something on this list as a way to build your resume through paid, part-time work!