Many Connections. One U.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions

July 23 Informational Session  with New International Students: Watch it Here

General Questions/Concerns

Q. Is the Office of International Student Success open?
A. While Maryville University is currently operating remotely due to the COVID-19 emergency, our office will continue to provide students. Our staff will be available via telephone and email, or for appointments via Skype, Zoom or Facetime. Please contact the Office of International Student Success directly with any questions or concerns. We will continue to send out updates and provide the most up-to-date information on our web site.  It is essential that you read any emails you receive from our Office.

Q. I am a current student. How do I get a new travel signature, if my travel signature on my I-20 will be expiring?
A. At the moment, the only option available for our office to get new documents to students is via email to gdryden@maryville.edu. If you leave the U.S. soon and will not return to the U.S. until the fall, or are not in need of a new travel signature immediately, you can wait until you hear from us that we have resumed normal services.

Q. I heard that U.S. Embassies and Consulates are no longer issuing visas worldwide. When will this resume?
A. All incoming students currently outside of the U.S. require a visa stamp issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country in order to enter the U.S. with, except for Canadian citizens.

In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State has temporarily suspended routine visa services at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates. Embassies and Consulates have cancelled appointments as of March 20, 2020. You may read more about this temporary suspension here. As resources allow, Embassies and Consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services. Embassies and Consulates will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. For more information check the U.S. Department of State website.

In addition, several Presidential proclamations established restrictions on the entry of certain travelers into the United States in an effort to help slow the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). You may read more about these proclamations, including who is subject to the suspension, here.

Q. What does Fall 2020 – Spring 2021 look like for newly incoming international students?
A. We are closely monitoring the pandemic situation per the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We hold the health and safety of our campus community as a top priority. We are creating a COVID-19 ready campus for you, with all the infection-preventing measures, extended cleaning measures and social distancing precautions. Updates will be posted on Maryville SaintStrong website as available. Please check back regularly.

If you have recently applied or planning to apply to Maryville as an international student, please move forward with the application process and continue to work closely with the International Admissions Office, should you need assistance.

Q. What about Orientation and move in 2020?
A. We are excited to welcome you on board in August. You will be soon receiving communication regarding International Student Orientation, which will take place on August 18th, as a full day virtual orientation. Please find detailed information under our Fall 2020 Orientation Page. In the meanwhile feel free to connect with the Maryville community through our Summer Zoom Series.

New international students who will be residents on campus will be moving in on Friday, August 21st. For students who need to move in earlier, they may do so on Sunday, August 16th. We will have Residential Life support to direct you on both days during business hours. Please try to arrange your travel plans accordingly. Let us know about your travel plans as soon as it is available by filling out this arrival form.

Unfortunately, due to Coronavirus restrictions, we prefer that you move in on one of those days, however, should you have flight cancellations or delays, or arriving after business hours, please inform us at intlsuccess@maryville.edu. If arriving late and you or your parents need a room, you may use the Maryville promotional rate at Marriott St. Louis West by booking through this link.

Travel

Q. I am a current student. If I leave the U.S., or I am currently outside the U.S., and want to return, will I be able to do so?
A. Normally yes, however, due to the current pandemic, U.S. borders are partially restrictive. Please see this interactive IATA website to find out about the most current travel restrictions all around the world. You may read more about the Presidential Proclamations suspending travel on this CDC website.

If you do decide to leave the U.S., it is very important that you have all the required immigration documents , such as an unexpired passport, an unexpired U.S. visa, an unexpired I-20 with an unexpired travel signature, when trying to reenter the U.S.

If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Q. I am a current student. What if I go to my home country and then I can’t get back to the U.S.?
A. Maryville is planning to deliver fall classes using an in-person/hybrid model. Students who are not able to return as scheduled should contact our office as soon as possible. If you are able to study full-time (minimum of 12 credits for undergraduate programs or minimum of 9 credits for graduate programs) from your home country, your F-1 status will remain ACTIVE (we will not terminate your SEVIS record). If you cannot or choose not to enroll full-time, we can discuss your academic and immigration options.

The situation relating to COVID 19 is constantly changing so this information may change with very little advance notice. Please contact our office at intlsuccess@maryville.edu if you encounter any difficulty in returning to Maryville for fall semester.

Q. Instead of traveling back to my home country, can I participate from elsewhere in the U.S.?
A. Yes, you are able to study full-time from elsewhere in the United States. In order to maintain your F1 status, you must enroll full-time, and must inform us of your new address via the Address Verification Form.

You are also required to carry health insurance; if you do not request a waiver, you will be automatically charged and enrolled in the LewerMark policy, as per the information posted in Canvas.

Fall classes will be delivered in an in-person/hybrid model. A flexible, hybrid course model employs a socially distanced, on-campus experience combined with synchronous and asynchronous virtual participation. In this model, many courses will have “mixed attendance,” that is, during any one class session some students will be in the classroom while others participate remotely.

Q. If I depart the US and my visa has expired how do I obtain a new visa to return to campus for the fall?  Should I anticipate any problem?
A. Please check the website of the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate for visa renewal information. You may contact Maryville Primary Designated School Official (PDSO), Ms. Gayle Dryden to discuss your situation.

Q. What about travel from Canada and Mexico?
A. For students from Canada or Mexico, currently the land borders between the United States and Canada, and the United States and Mexico are closed for nonessential travel.  Students planning to enter the U.S. from Canada or Mexico are encouraged to reach out to our Office at intlssuccess@maryville.edu before finalizing arrangements.

OPT/CPT

Q. Can I apply for OPT outside the U.S.?
A. You must be physically present in the U.S. at the time you apply for OPT.  You can leave the U.S. while the application is pending, although this is not recommended.  You must provide a mailing address in the U.S. where USCIS can send any correspondence related to your application.  It is essential that this address be valid for 3-5 months and the person receiving the mail must be at that address to receive the mail and forward it to you.

Q. If I am in the U.S., can I submit my OPT application USCIS remotely?
A. No.  You must be in the U.S. in F-1 status, however, to submit the application to USCIS.

Q. I used my friend’s address to have USCIS mail my EAD and now they are leaving campus/their apartment. What should I do?
A. You cannot use an international address.  You should locate another recipient within the U.S. Then you must update your mailing address with USCIS.

Q. I applied for OPT already.  Will I have a problem if I re-enter the U.S. after graduation?
A. If you want to re-enter the U.S. after graduation, you must have your EAD, OPT approval from USCIS. A student who has graduated may not be allowed to re-enter the U.S. if the OPT application is still pending at USCIS.

Q. Can I still apply for CPT from outside the U.S.?
A. Yes. Please contact our DSO, Ms. Carmina Arriola by email.

Social Security Number / Taxes

Q. Can I file my U.S. taxes outside the country?
A. Yes, you can use Sprintax, print and sign the forms, and mail them.

Q. When are taxes due for 2019?
A. The deadline to file federal taxes for 2019 has been extended to July 15, 2020. Please review the Internal Revenue Service announcement for details. The deadline for filing Missouri state taxes has also been extended to July 15, 2020.

Q. What do I do if I need to apply for a Social Security Number?
A. All local Social Security offices are closed to the public for in-person service. You may refer to their COVID-19 web page to learn more, including how to get help from the Social Security Administration (SSA) by phone and online.  If you need to apply for an SSN you must wait until they resume in-person services.

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon