Many Connections. One U.


In general, current federal regulations do not allow F-1 students to be employed. There are, however, a few exceptions to the rule.

On-campus employment is allowed as long as you are working for Maryville University or are working for an outside organization that provides services primarily to Maryville students on the Maryville University campus. If you have any questions as to whether your on-campus employment is allowed, please contact ISS before starting to work. On-campus employment may only be part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while classes are in session. You may work full time during the summer or during other breaks. When you first enter the US, you may begin your on-campus employment no more than 30 days before classes start. Your on-campus employment must end when you complete your program of study unless you have already been accepted to a new program of study at Maryville.

On rare occasions natural disasters or other unforeseen sudden changes to your financial situation that are completely beyond your control may result in Severe Economic Hardship. If you find yourself in that situation, you may apply to USCIS for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) that will allow you to work off campus. Make an appointment with ISS to discuss your situation if you believe that your circumstances may allow you to apply for this benefit.

The US government has also entered into agreements with certain international organizations that allow F-1 students to be employed by those organizations. If you have a written offer of employment from one of these institutions (please look at the Notes tab on the website for the list of international organizations) you may also apply for an EAD, by filing a Form I-765,  in order to participate in this employment.

Finally, because obtaining hands-on experience applying what you have learned in the classroom can play an important role in obtaining your educational objective while you are in the US, a special provision has been created that will allow you to participate in Practical Training either to fulfill a degree requirement (Curricular Practical Training) or as an optional additional activity related your major field of study (Optional Practical Training). Talk to International Student Success about these.

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon