Many Connections. One U.

Extending Your Program

If you are unable to complete your program of study by the program end date shown on your form I-20, you will need to request an extension before that date arrives. If your current program end date has already passed, an extension is no longer possible.

In order to request the extension, you must have maintained your F-1 status and demonstrate that the delay in completing your program is due to either a legitimate academic issue (such as a change or addition of a major, a loss of credits when transferring, unanticipated research problems, etc.) or a documented medical issue (or both).

  1. Discuss your need for an extension with your academic advisor.
  2. Complete the Program Extension Request form.
  3. Submit the form to International Student Success via email to
  4. When the new form I-20 is ready for pickup, we will notify you via email.
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon