Many Connections. One U.

Taking a Leave of Absence

If you discover that you will need to interrupt your studies before completing your program, ISS will need to also end your SEVIS record and your F-1 status. Depending upon the length of your leave, you may need to obtain a new “initial” form I-20 before returning to the US.

If your leave will require you to be outside the US for fewer than 5 months, ISS can request that SEVP reactivate your previous record once you have been readmitted to your program. You will maintain your eligibility for practical training, will not need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again, and can use a valid visa to request reentry.

If your leave will require you to be outside the US for more than 5 months, you will need to provide new financial documentation, pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again, and obtain a new visa. You will also need to complete a year of full time study before becoming eligible for practical training.

When you are ready to return from your leave:

  1. Contact the Office of Admissions to obtain a new letter of admission.
  2. Provide an updated financial certificate and bank statement.
  3. Submit a copy of your passport.

A new form I-20 will be sent to you for you to use to apply for your new visa (if needed) and to present at the port of entry. Depending upon how long you have been gone, you may wish to participate in another international student orientation.

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon