CPT is practical training that fulfills a curricular requirement of your program of study. If all students in your program are required to complete a practicum or if you are enrolled in a course that meets a degree requirement and the course itself includes a training requirement, International Student Success can add CPT to your form I-20. You can begin your training once the authorization has been added.
In order to request CPT authorization you will:
- Discuss with your academic advisor whether the training in which you wish to participate will fulfill a curricular requirement of your program of study
- Complete the CPT Request Form, ask your academic advisor to sign it, and submit the form to ISS
- Pick up your new form I-20 after ISS has determined that you are eligible for CPT, created your new form I-20, and notified you that it is ready.
You will need the following documents in order to complete your request:
- CPT Request Form
- An offer of employment/training from the company or organization where the CPT will occur on the organization’s letterhead and signed by your supervisor or the hiring manager. That letter should include:
- The name of the company or organization
- The date your training will begin and end
- The number of hours you will work each week
- The address where the training will occur
- The title of the position you will fill
- A brief description of the position or the work that you will do