LDT Training Workshops
Learning Design and Technology (LDT) hosts training workshops throughout each semester. Links to recorded sessions are provided below, so you can view them at your convenience.
We recommend that faculty watch the following webinars, which cover the basics of getting started in Canvas and using the system for posting materials, collecting assignments, and posting grades.
- Canvas – Getting Started
This session gives you an overview of the Canvas system, which is the Learning Management System used at Maryville. You will learn the basics of Canvas and what tools are available within Canvas.
- Canvas – Preparing To Teach Online
This session gives you an overview of tasks faculty need to complete within their courses prior to an online course starting. Topics covered include: reviewing course content, uploading a syllabus, setting due dates, posting announcements, and setting your profile.
- Canvas – Materials
This session focuses on how to build a course in Canvas. Specific tools covered include Modules, Files, and Syllabus.
- Canvas – Assessment
This session focuses on how to create and manage assessments within Canvas. Specific tools covered include Assignments, Rubrics, Peer Review, Grades, SpeedGrader, Attendance.
The below videos are more targeted to specific areas of Canvas. You may find it useful to review these to increase awareness of what’s possible within the system.
- Uploading Your Syllabus
- Using SimCheck for Plagiarism Detection
- Canvas Email
- Posting Announcements
- Using the Canvas Teacher app on a Mobile Device
- Creating Discussion Boards
- Using the Gradebook
- Managing Group Projects
- Viewing a List of Students (People tab)
- Creating Quizzes/Exams
- Creating and Using Rubrics
Finally – all basic user documentation can be found on the URL below.
Other Instructional Technologies
- Introduction to Accessing Kaltura (for students and faculty)
- Upload Existing Multimedia Content (for students and faculty)
- Create New Multimedia Content Using Kaltura Capture (for students and faculty)
- Embed Multimedia Content In Canvas To Make Visible to Students (e.g., within Modules, Assignments…etc.) (for faculty)
- Accept and Grade Student Video Assignments (for faculty & students)
- How Students Submit Video Assignments and Discussions (for faculty and students)
- How Students Submit Videos Assignments from iPad (for faculty and students)
This session provides an introducing to using Zoom for distance meetings. Specific topics covered include: how to access Zoom, scheduling meetings, hosting meetings, and recording meetings.
- MU Sites (Web Hosting)
This session provides an in-depth look at MU Sites, a web hosting solution available to all students and faculty. This tutorial demonstrates how to sign up for an account, choose a domain name, install wordpress, and begin customizing your website.
This session provides an in-depth look at Qualtrics, Maryville’s survey creation tool. All faculty staff, and students are allowed a Qualtrics account. Topics covered during this session include Setting Up an Account, Creating Survey Questions, Customizing a Survey, Distributing a Survey, and Analyzing Survey Results.