Many Connections. One U.

Campus Notes

on May 20, 2010 by Janet Edwards

Healthcare Reform Makes for Great Conversation
Friends, family, faculty and staff gathered in Buder Family Commons last Sunday for another “Great Conversation.” Sponsored by Maryville University Alumni Relations Office, this month’s meeting of the minds discussed Social Justice in a non-combative, relaxed environment. Drinks and snacks were provided while conversation drifted over a variety of topics. Great Conversations are hosted by Dr. John “Wick” Wickersham and are mostly held on Sundays at 7 p.m.

Traveling Artists Bring Shakespeare to Life

The play was the thing on the Auditorium stage this past Monday. The Shakespeare Festival St. Louis’ award-winning Touring Ensemble captured selected works of Shakespeare’s plays adapted by Christopher Limber with “ All the World’s a Stage …”, the company’s educational tour. Following a reception for the Duchesne Society, the actors performed a 50-minute set packed with shorts of Shakespeare’s most beloved plays including Romeo & Juliet, Taming of the Shrew, Macbeth, The Tempest and 12th Night. Each short was adapted especially for the company to include contemporary humor and pop references.

Anna Quindlen Speaks to Full House

Author Anna Quindlen spoke at Maryville University, May 6, as part of the Maryville Talks Books series. Her latest book is Every Last One. It was close to a full house and many fans took advantage of Quindlen’s book signing afterwards. She talked about the writing process and how she begins. Quindlen doesn’t outline a story, she starts with a character in a situation and develops it from there. She went on to talk about the way she writes and how she isn’t like most authors. Quindlen spoke of her experience saying, “I hate writing, but I love having written.”

Quindlen also discussed differences between teaching writing and living it. “When my daughter was in a writing class, her teacher had so many rules: ‘No sentences more than two lines long. No paragraphs more than two sentences long. So, out of curiosity, I took some of my articles … and, after going through them, I realized that her teacher would have given me all F’s.”

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon