Many Connections. One U.

Alumni Profile

on August 26, 2010 by Janet Edwards

Justin Panther, ‘06
B.S. Actuarial Science

One of Justin Panther’s personal goals is to fill up his passport with stamps before it expires in 2013. His job with Allstate Insurance Company puts that plan in good hands – he’ll be working in Belfast, Northern Ireland, through next February.

“At the moment, I would say the best thing about my job is the ability to travel easily throughout Europe,” Panther said. “As a pretty avid traveler, I am extremely excited about the opportunity to see so many varied cultures and to have the ability to experience something new virtually every day of my rotation to Belfast.”

Panther began working with Allstate as an actuarial analyst just after graduation. During school, he had done an internship with the company. Four years and several title changes later, Panther now manages four employees as part of the company’s test run of a broad sourcing initiative.

“Maryville gave me ample opportunities to hone my leadership skills and laid the groundwork for internships, such as those I had with Allstate, which ultimately led to my job.” he said. “In addition, I often had one-on-one sessions with professors to learn many topics not part of the traditional syllabus. These meetings really gave me a leg up on the competition.”

Panther spent all four years on campus.

“My fondest memories from college are tied to the mission trips that Kathy Quinn coordinated to Pensacola, Fla., with Habitat for Humanity, and our Hurricane Katrina trip to Bayou la Batre, Ala.,” he said. “This endeavor was an amazing way to help those who were less fortunate, while making lasting friendships and learning key life skills.”

As a student, Panther says he was involved with “pretty much everything that my schedule would permit.”  His activities included Roman Catholic Student Community (RCSC), Maryville University Theatrical Society, Dawg Pound, Omnicron Delta Kappa (ODK), the Institute for Leadership and Values, Honors Program, Actuarial Science Club, a study abroad program (to Limerick, Ireland), Alpha Lambda Delta, Delta Epsilon Sigma and Big Brothers Big Sisters of St. Louis.  He also played tennis, ran track and played intramural volleyball and soccer.

Panther, who lives in the Chicago area, is still involved as a class agent and has helped out as a Corporate Sponsor coordinator for Maryville’s annual Alumni Trivia Night.

“I’m also a strong advocate for alumni giving (come on alumni – no time like the present to give back!), and I’m a member of the Duchesne Society this year,” he said.

Outside of Allstate, Panther still dabbles in theater. He serves as treasurer for Up and Coming Theatre, a not-for-profit group, and takes to the stage once in awhile, recently performing as Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Since graduation, Panther says his most exciting endeavors include buying a house and speed boating off the coast of Punta Cana. For now, though, travel tops his list of personal pursuits. The next exciting passport stamp is only a month away – he’ll be in Munich for Oktoberfest.

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Pinterest icon Google+ icon YouTube icon LinkedIn icon Contact icon